Irrespective of the spreader, the size and weight of the grains varies depending on the manufacturer of the product to be distributed (lawn seeds, fertiliser). Moisture also changes the grain size. For these reasons, we cannot recommend a definitive setting. Therefore, please use the following two methods to determine the individual setting size: - Lay an opened-out daily newspaper, approximately 1 m in size, on the floor. Reason: the manufacturer's specifications always refer to 1 m - Select the small setting on the spreader (lawn seeds 2–3, fertiliser 3–4) - Pass over it with the spreader - Weigh the quantity that has been distributed (using kitchen scales, for example) and compare with the manufacturer's specifications Since lawn seeds in particular, depending on the variety and also the moisture content, have different grain sizes, it is not possible to provide a binding general setting on the product chart for lawn seeds. We therefore recommend the following alternative method for sowing lawn seeds: When sowing lawn seeds, it is essential to ensure that you go over the lawn area in both the longitudinal and transverse direction when sowing with the spreader to achieve uniform, continuous growth. You can work out the correct distribution or seed density of lawn seeds and the corresponding setting value on the GARDENA Spreader as follows: 1. Stake out a length of 10 m on a firm surface. This distance corresponds to an application area of 4.5 m at a spreading width of 45 cm. 2. Run over the length once with the filled spreader (select test setting '2'). 3. Sweep the lawn seeds together and weigh the applied amount on scales. 4. Compare the applied amount with the instructions given by the grass seed manufacturer on the packaging. Depending on the result, adjust the setting on the spreader upwards or downwards and retest until you have found the correct setting value. However, please make sure that once you have crossed your lawn lengthwise and crosswise, twice the amount has been applied.
Articles in this section
- Which parts are excluded from the warranty?
- Why don’t the battery-operated shears start straight away?
- Are the wheels/handle compatible with old GARDENA equipment?
- How do you recommend caring for the blades?
- Can the blades be reground?
- How can I adjust the GARDENA Spreader for certain lawn seeds and types of fertiliser?
- What can I distribute using my spreader?
- What is the difference between Cylinder Lawnmowers and C-model Cylinder Lawnmowers?
- Can the blades on the manual lawn mowers be reground?
- How does a lawnmower with non-contact cutting system cut?